ACTIVATE CHANGE MAKERS
Power-Building Academy Curriculum
We take inspiration from these influential schools of thought.
POWER-BUILDING ACADEMY GOALS
- Develop new leaders who commit to long-term organizing to create policy and systems change.
- Design responsive and results-based policy solutions.
- Achieve [education] policy changes that work to decrease racial disparities.
- Increase voter turnout in targeted areas where turnout is low, but there could be huge impact.
KEY ORGANIZING SKILLS
- Organizing Cycle
- Public Narrative/Storytelling
- Campaign Strategy Development
KEY APPROACHES TO POWER-BUILDING ACADEMY EXPERIENCES
- Create space for healing
- Leverage narratives and stories to facilitate and foster learning
- Create opportunities for reflection on content and experiences through pre-session and post-session work
- Facilitate hands-on, interactive, and dialogical experiences vs. talk/teach to Power-Builders
- Provide opportunities to engage with and learn from established organizers
- Consider and facilitate with attention to different learning and processing styles
- Create opportunities for Power-Builders to learn by seeing the systems and work in action and doing/applying their organizing skills to real campaigns
We believe in a co-facilitation model where two people facilitate each session together
We believe facilitators should meet some of the following criteria:
Have experience facilitating group discussions, learnings, and action
Have experience as a community organizer
Have experience with policy research and development
Have worked intimately with Black and Latinx communities